Looks like a real Altec product, and not one of the ALT wanna-bees.
http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...TS-94-Data.pdf
There's one on Ebay right now....... not that I know what I'd do with it. I guess I'm just curious.
Looks like a real Altec product, and not one of the ALT wanna-bees.
http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...TS-94-Data.pdf
There's one on Ebay right now....... not that I know what I'd do with it. I guess I'm just curious.
Audio_by_Goodwill
Michigan, USA
The DTS series started out based on the "Engine" component developed by Bill Hanuschak at Altec Lansing. The "Engine" is where the single magnet has the HF voice coil with phase plug on the back and the LF voice coil on the front. These models were the originals:
DTS642A-F - 12" bass horn, 299 HF, 60 x 40
DTS942A-F - 12" bass horn, 299 HF, 90 x 40
DTS645A-F - 16" bass horn, 299 HF, 60 x 40
DTS945A-F - 16" bass horn, 299 HF, 90 x 40
DTS152A-F - dual 3156 subwoofer
DTS182A - dual 3184 subwoofer
The DTS-94 and the others below were designed and manufactured by Electro-Voice after Mark IV Audio shut down Acoustic Engineering in Oklahoma City. These models are loaded with EV components. Many of the EV components sound very good.
DTS-94
DTS-99
DTS-200 - two versions of this model were shipped, the first had an Altec component
DTS-212
DTS-215
DTS-640
DTS-941
Experience is Knowledge
Yes, I'm familiar with the Engine, which is why I was drawn to the ebay auction for the DTS-94. However, I was under the impression that the DTS series came later. I have a 9864-8A, which I though was the original.... or closer to it, than the DTS line.
Very interesting. So probably designed about an hour (or so) away from me.The DTS-94 and the others below were designed and manufactured by Electro-Voice after Mark IV Audio shut down Acoustic Engineering in Oklahoma City. These models are loaded with EV components. Many of the EV components sound very good.
DTS-94
DTS-99
DTS-200 - two versions of this model were shipped, the first had an Altec component
DTS-212
DTS-215
DTS-640
DTS-941
Audio_by_Goodwill
Michigan, USA
The 9864A and 9894A were the first products to incorporate the "Engine". The 12" version (9264A and 9294A) followed. This new technology was then named "Duplex Technology Systems" or "DTS". The originals (9864A, etc.) were designed for the typical permanent install application, very utility and plain. The church market was moving toward install speakers that looked like concert speakers. The DTS model numbers were black trapezoid cabs with handles and fancy suspension hardware and grilles. Our corporate owners made us price these lovely speakers at the same high price point as a similar EV model. IMHO they were afraid of the DTS price and performance. With little or no marketing budget, the DTS did not get any traction and sales were poor.
There are a couple of loudspeaker companies that have now produced a shared-magnet speaker component, some are even using a large-format HF driver. Tannoy might be playing with a similar design. However, I am not aware of Tannoy having a large-format HF driver.
Experience is Knowledge
Bookmarks